Thursday 12 March 2009

Walking in someone else's Shoes

It isn't something that I have always adhered too and to try it is extremely difficult. But I do think it is incredibly important to treat others how we want to be treated ourselves. Everybody complains when they are mistreated or hurt by somebody, but how many of those people can honestly say that they have not done the same thing to others in the past? I'm probably the most guilty of it. Sometimes we just need to take a walk in somebody else's shoes for a bit.

Like I said, I've always struggled with this, though recent events and time on my hands have made me pause for reflection. It is something I would love to be able to do and something I strive towards.

In most situations like this, I look to people I admire who are able to rise above the general everyday crap we all experience and still stay true to their principles and treat others how they would want to be treated.

The Captain is one individual who, apart from the odd grumpy moment, always treats people how he would like to be treated. He's been through a lot in his life, yet never does he try putting others down to make himself feel better, you wouldn't find him cheating on a partner, nor would you catch him trying to purposefully hurt somebody else. He has a pure soul. Even if it is the difficult path to take, he will always do the right thing.

Tekno is a close friend I've not mentioned before. A former work colleague, he's become an important person in my life and somebody I look towards for guidance and advice. Like the Captain, he too has a pure soul, a genuine love for life and would not harm a fly.

Neither of these characters are soft though. It would be foolish to think that. They both have a strong will and steely determination that runs deep throughout them. Both would only ever do something they truly wanted to and would never follow the crowd for the sake of it. To make friends with them, is to make friends for life.

I particularly appreciate Tekno giving me some advice last year, regarding how people may interpret my actions, regardless of my intentions being different. He allowed me to see that a more calm, collected and I guess, mature approach was beneficial in life. It helped me see life as a series of smaller journeys linked together. It put things in perspective. He showed me that being competitive, an alpha male and constantly rising to people's words, was futile. Let others get involved in that, just control what you can control. You don't always have to fight. I guess most importantly, he taught me to have balance in my life.

People say you never have friends like the ones you do when you are 11 or 12, but that isn't true. Tekno proves the exception to that. Somebody you can have a beer and chat shit with, yet somebody you would trust your life too. His actions are an inspiration. They show that good people do succeed in life. Wouldn't it be great if somebody could say the same about you in return?

Like I said, I want to treat others how I would like to be treated myself. Once in a while, take a walk in somebody elses shoes and see how it feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment