Monday 9 February 2009

Looking Ahead/Looking Back

At the moment, I've got a lot of time to myself to think about stuff. Now, the other evening I was daydreaming about what I'm looking forward to when my legs fixed. I thought back to about 6 or 7 years ago and when I first started regularly visiting North Devon to surf. It was thoughts of those Friday night road trips that really got me buzzing.

After a hard week at work - constantly checking the surf report, wishing I was somewhere else and generally feeling pretty miserable with the hand I'd been dealt - I stopped swimming lengths in my pool of self pity and when it hit 5pm, we road tripped down to Croyde Bay.

There was usually at least 2 cars in convoy, sometimes more. There was a bunch of us, old mates from school etc, but 2 characters who really played an important part through my life are the Boss and Captain. 2 guys I had know since I was about 5 years old and 2 polar opposites.

The weekend would be a blast of surfing, hanging out with friends, drinking, having BBQ's and swapping stories round the fire. For those few days, we were living the dream.

But good times can't last forever, these sessions went on for a few summers and eventually earned the nickname 'the September Sessions' from the Boss. Eventually, people grew up and drifted away. Legends don't burn out, they just fade away, or get a mortgage and marry. The Boss, the Captain, they'll always be legends.

It's important we really appreciate those good times. They won't always be good, but, if we didn't have the bad times, we would never know how much to enjoy the good. Take the rough with the smooth.

1 comment:

  1. Very True mate... Can't think of a better way of summing up those times! Although you didn't mention the inter-car food and water fights!

    Anyway, this year a new set of sessions will return, not to recreate the times of old, but to produce and nurture new memories!

    ReplyDelete